Friday, February 26, 2010

Jambalaya

When I lived downtown there was a dirty jazz bar across the street that served delicious veggie jambalaya (and the best raspberry vodka and lemonade in Seattle). No jazz or cocktails when I made this at home, but it still turned out awesome. Don't be intimidated by the long ingredient list. This made enough for 2 dinners, a few lunches, and some in the freezer.

This was my guide http://www.gumbopages.com/food/veg/veg-jambalaya.html and I changed it up for the season and personal taste.
  • 2 small yellow onions, diced
  • a shallot, diced
  • 1/2 head garlic, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 yellow bell, diced
  • A few super sweet teenage carrots, diced
  • box of mushrooms, diced
  • 4 small zucchini, diced
  • handul of frozen ochra
  • can of diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups black eyed peas
  • 2 cups (or so) brown rice
  • 6 cups water and buillion
  • Creole seasoning to taste (about 3 tsp.)
  • sprinkle of dried thyme
  • 1 can tomato paste

Caramelize tomato paste in a small pan over medium low heat. This takes a lot of time, so get it started while you saute everything else. Just keep stirring it so it doesn't burn.

Heat oil in a large pot.Saute onions, shallot, garlic, carrots, and bell peppers for a few, till tender.

Add zucchini and ochra, saute another five or so minutes.

Add tomatoes, salt, creole seasoning, rice, and black-eyed peas. Mix well.

Then, back to the paste: deglaze the pan with some of the stock. stir and combine thorougly. I had four cups of the stock in a large pyrex and added the paste to this and stirred well.

Add veggie stock/tomato mix and remaining stock to the pot. Stir and cover.

Cook for an hour till liquid is absorbed. Do not stir while it's cooking.

11 comments:

Rebecca Staton said...

LaBelle I have never heard of carmelizing tomato paste. Can't wait to try it.

Karin said...

I had never heard of it either! But that process is what I really loved about this recipe. Tom paste usually feels like something you dump in to thicken--but here it's a real ingredient!

Sally said...

Oh yum Karen! I have a friend who makes it with meat. Now I'm not a meat eater so anxious to try this one!

Leah Miller said...

I am glad I now know who K-Prost is. :)
This looks delicious!

Sally said...

Kren is "a shallot" the whole bulb or a piece of it? I've not cooked with one of these in a very long time. I'm going to make this this week!

Sally said...

Becky, where's your avatar?

Richard McElroy said...

Sally - A shallot is the whole thing. It's like a tiny onion.

Rebecca Staton said...

Mom, where you drinking when you wrote this? "Kren" what's a shallot?

Can I make fun of people on this blog?

Karin said...

Mostly don't worry too much since this is really one of those recipes that you can just toss stuff in an it'll be delicious. So, I guess if forced to answer I'd say put the whole thing in.

and of course you can make fun of people on this blog Becky, but you should never make fun of your mom in any forum. :)

Sally said...

Oh it's been so long since I've been on here and so long since I've even cooked. Tom is in rehearsal and I'm working on a condo belonging to the daughter that likes to mock me. Ha, ha. Of course you can tease me Beck. It's really ok Kren (can I call you Kren?) :)

Mike said...

this looks yummy