Sunday, February 7, 2010

Jamaican Style Red Beans and Rice


2 c. cooked red beans, heap the cups and make sure there is lots of cooking liquid included
1 14 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
1 fresh hot chili, finely chopped
1 1/2 c. long grain brown rice
1 t. salt
fresh ground pepper

* rice has the same problem that legumes have as far as phytic acid goes (see below, Red Beans). Soak for 1 hr and rinse well before adding to this dish.

Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly oil a baking dish. Place all the beans and their liquid in a baking dish. Mash slightly. Add chili, coconut milk, rice, salt and pepper. Bake in a covered dish for 30 - 60 mins. Remove from oven and test rice. If needed bake for additional time.

6 comments:

Leah Miller said...

Yum! I'm totally gonna make this. If I don't have coconut milk, can I use regular milk? or should I use something else?

Sally said...

Hmmm...you can use crushed canned tomatoes. You need juice. Don't know about regular milk. Leah I think you can get coconut milk in any grocery store. It gives it a creamier texture and really good flavor.

Kari McElroy said...

Oh man, I'm excited to try this one. . . .

Rebecca Staton said...

This is my favorite beans and rice ever. Yum and yum.

Leah the coconut milk makes it sooo good! I would use the tomatoes or water if you don't use it.

Richard McElroy said...

We just finished making this. It was awesome. I cut back on the heat giving things though. Instead of 1 fresh hot chili, I used a yellow pepper. It was good, but I think that next time I'll use a hotter pepper. Kari said we could go hotter, so we will go hotter.

Sally said...

Glad you guys liked this! Go Kari!! Also forgot to mention that the last time I made this I put in a little bit more of the bean liquid so it was a bit creamier. Maybe 1/4 - 1/2 cup more?