Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Beet & Quinoa salad

We went to a wedding a few weeks ago where they served this amazing salad at the rehearsal dinner. It's so delicious, even Daniel -- who has an historical hatred of beets -- liked it.

I was sort of freaked out when I realized that the beets were raw, but it's so sweet and crunchy. I don't have a food processor so I did all the shredding by hand using the Ikea flat grater into a dish style. It was sort of fun and didn't take very long.

As with any salad the amounts are very up to taste/ size of the veg in question. I didn't really measure anything, but will the next time I make this. Make the dressing first so the flavors can all meld while you make the salad.

Beet, Carrot, and Quinoa Salad

4 beets, shredded
3 carrots (more beet than carrot), shredded
1 apple sliced (optional)
1 cup (cooked) quinoa

dressing
1-3 garlic, shredded
4 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp raw honey (my new obsession)
    * you can whisk the honey with a few tbsp of warm (not hot) water to liquify it
 a few turns of TJ's "everyday seasoning" grinder. but, salt and pepper would work here too.

Mix it all up and let everything sit for at least an hour before serving. It definitely gets better with time.


No comments: