Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Creamy Potato and Spinach Soup With Lemon



This recipe was actually a part of my link "13 Ways to Impress a Vegan" from Atlantic Monthly, but I loved the color so much (and they didn't have a picture), and I made a couple tweaks so I decided to repost it here. It's great, I love how the parsnip has an earthly lemon smell to it, so it really compliments the added lemon. My only complaint is that I don't have an immersion blender and I had some issues with processing the soup at the end in batches.

Ingredients

• 5 small potatoes
• 3 cups spinach
• 1 parsnip
• 3 cloves garlic
• 1 onion
• 2 bay leaves
• lemon
• olive oil
• salt
• pepper
• 4 cups vegetable broth

Directions

Mince the garlic and the onion. Peel the potatoes and parsnip, and cut them into bite-sized pieces.

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot, then add the garlic and onion. Cook, stirring, until soft and lightly browned, about six minutes.

Add the potatoes and parsnip, and cook for about five to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, so that the vegetables are golden but not browned.

Add the stock, bay leaves, a bit of salt, and fresh ground pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes (more like 30), or until the vegetables are completely cooked. Using an immersion blender, a food processor, or a regular blender, puree the soup to break down some of the potato pieces (I basically creamed all of it together for no chucks. The finished product reminded me of a rich bisque without the cream of course). Add the spinach, one cup at a time, blending in between additions so that the soup is smooth and bright green. Add a tablespoon of lemon juice, then blend again. Taste for salt and lemon and add more of either as you think necessary.

No comments: