Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Butter

I've got some bread fermenting (or rising) in the fridge today and once I cook it and take a picture I'll post my recipe for sandwich bread. I make about a loaf a week, and don't buy bread any more, it's awesome. With bread comes a need for butter, and I've got a great way to make it if you have a Kitchen Aid (or some kind of mixer). Most of the butter I use now, I've been making this way. I did cheat this weekend and buy a couple pounds, but that's because I was making lots of things with butter, and it was easier that way. Without further commentary, here is how I've been making butter.

Ingredients

16 oz Heavy Whipping Cream
1/2 teaspoon salt

That's it! But these in the mixer bowl and mix on high, periodically scraping down the sides. It takes around 5-10 minutes but the mixture will solidify (whipped cream) and then it will start to look shiny (or wet), at this point it starts to look like couscous, and you know you are about done. I typically let it mix for a little longer (maybe around a minute), and the solid part (butter) begins to separate from the wet part (butter milk). At this point in time form the butter into a ball and drain off any butter milk you can. Fill your mixing bowl with water and massage the butter ball under running water until it runs clear, this rinsing step helps get out any of the leftover butter milk and will make your butter last longer. The butter I have made has kept for at least 2-3 weeks (it isn't around past that so I don't know how much longer it would last).

1 comment:

Rebecca Staton said...

Richard, I'm so impressed. Can't wait for the bread recipe.